story fam

story fam

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Breaking away from the incredible egg

So after 30+ days of eating sweet potatoes and/or eggs, a girl gets kind of bored.  I finally branched out a bit and, for health reasons only of course, visited Pinterest (insert ahhhhh here) for some paleo-ish recipes.  There are a gazillion out there!!  I also was given (thank you Gramma Choo Choo) a really amazing, and easy to read, paleo cookbook that I've used.  I will try to link that up below.  Here are two easy recipes that might just entice you to give this whole 30 thing a try.


The Pineapple Dream (the kids name) or Summer Crack (that would be my choice):
 *credit for this recipe:  I found this recipe on Pinterest.  It can be found on my "pins I've done" board


1 can of pineapple with juice

1 can of coconut milk (I do recommend organic AND watch for hidden sugar!!!!!)
1 tsp of pure vanilla
*want to make a smoothie??  add either a handful of ice cubes OR (and I prefer this) a frozen banana

Throw everything in to a blender and voila!!  Leftovers?  Freeze them in molds and have a healthy treat for later.

Now if you checked out It All Starts with Food, I realize that the promotion of a smoothie is not included.  This shouldn't replace a meal.  You could have a small glass of this with a protein, and veggies.  The coconut milk IS a good fat, so this would cover the good fat and fruit.

Side note:  the one sticking point that I have with the whole 30 is not finding paleo "sweets".  The authors of the Food book really push that you don't mask sugar cravings by finding a way to have a paleo dessert or yummy.  I totally disagree!!!!!  Why would you even do that?  The above smoothie/popcicle is a legit way to have a snack/treat when the rest of the fam is having ice cream.  While I did adhere to this strictly on my whole 30, I do not find that having a smoothie, pumpkin pancake (see recipe below), or paleo treat from the Coffee Hound messes me up.

Pumpkin pancakes:
*recipe taken from Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilipopo


4 eggs                                                1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1/2 c canned pumpkin                       1 tsp cinnamon (I used more)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract                   1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp of butter or coconut oil
1 ripe mashed ripe banana optional

mash banana.  add and whisk together eggs, pumpkin, vanilla.  sift in pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and baking soda.

melt the 2 tbsp of butter in the skillet.  when melted add to mixture.  **I used the remaining little bit of butter to grease my skillet**

I used a 1/4 measuring cup to dip my batter out of the bowl.  I got about 10 smalish pancakes out of this recipe.  I added pecans on top for a bit more good fat.

IT IS SUPER GOOD!!!!!!



Again, while I did follow each and every rule during the whole 30, I really do not see the harm (for me) in recreating foods that I love in a healthier way.  The pancakes are so good and full of good things.

If you are interested in making a change, check out pinterest.  I'm on there and thanks to good friends have found a lot of great, easy recipes that I've put on the following boards:  good for you, paleo, gluten free.

Enjoy


No comments: